Will Cuylle is making his NHL debut in his hometown of Toronto Wednesday night. It’s a perfect opportunity for the Rangers’ 2020 second-round pick to prove himself and do it in front of his friends and family. He will also enjoy his MSG debut on Friday, before the Rangers head into the All-Star break. Sammy Blais may not be as big a fan of the decision, as he is headed down to AHL Hartford on a conditioning assignment for at least two weeks.
MSG Network reporter John Giannone was this week’s guest on a new episode of the “Up In The Blue Seats” podcast. The Mr. Do-It-All Rangers anchor and reporter joined me and Andrew Harts, along with New York Post columnist Larry Brooks.
You can listen to the show below, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get podcasts…or you can watch the show below and by subscribing to the New York Post Sports YouTube page.
Up In The Blue Seats Podcast Opening Larry Brooks Segment with Jake Brown and Andrew Harts:
- CUYLLE’S COOL DEBUT: What does this kid bring to the Rangers? Great story to play in his hometown as his first game. Can he stick around past this week?
- BYE, BYE, BLAIS: Sammy Blais goes down to AHL Hartford with the promotion of Cuylle. What does this mean for him? Why has he struggled so much this season? Is Blais done with the Rangers after this season?
- VITALI SCRATCH-SOV: Vitali Kravtsov will be a healthy scratch. Could Cuylle’s promotion impact Kravtsov’s playing time moving forward?
John Giannone Interview:
MSG Network Rangers anchor, reporter
- POSTIES: John looks back to his days working at the New York Post from 1988-94, before he left for another New York newspaper. He left and the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. Paul Schwartz became John’s replacement in 1994 as the Giants beat writer. Paul is still here…and co-hosts the “Blue Rush” podcast.
- HANDSOME HANK: What is it like working alongside Henrik Lundqvist in studio on MSG Network? How incredibly good looking is the guy? Never truly got to know Henrik when interviewing him during his playing career like he has this past year in studio.
- CUYLLE/CURRENT RANGERS/TRADE DEADLINE: What should fans expect from Cuylle? What should the Rangers do at the trade deadline in order to be built for a potential deep playoff run?
- MR. DO IT ALL: Stories working between the benches as an ice-side reporter. What crazy things has he heard from players working down there? Is that his favorite role? Looking back at his first time at MSG as a kid to doing the job he is today.