Details have emerged about the circumstances that led to the shocking death of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Busch “became unresponsive” while testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina, on Wednesday, May 20, according to the Associated Press

The motorsports icon was then transported to a hospital in Charlotte, where he ultimately died on Thursday, May 21, at the age of 41. 

Us Weekly has reached out to Chevrolet Racing and Richard Childress Racing for comment.

General Motors President Mark Reuss shared a statement on Thursday after news of Busch’s death broke.

“The shocking news of Kyle’s passing is devastating to me, and to everyone at Chevrolet and General Motors. Our hearts go out to Samantha, their children Brexton and Lennix and the Busch family, everyone at RCR, Kyle’s legions of fans and all of Rowdy Nation,” the statement, obtained by Us Weekly, read. “He was a fierce competitor who found success both as a driver and team owner, as well as a generous benefactor to countless families with the Bundle of Joy Fund he founded with Samantha. On top of all that, he found time to be a true friend to us all.”

NASCAR announced Busch’s death in a statement via social media on Thursday. 

“We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers,” the organization said. “We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire motorsports community.”


HAMPTON, GEORGIA – FEBRUARY 20: Kyle Busch looks on during qualifying for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 at Echo Park Speedway on February 20, 2026 in Hampton, Georgia.
Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images

At the time of his death, Busch was preparing to race in the Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte on Sunday, May 24, but his family announced he had pulled out of the race with a “severe illness” on Thursday morning. 

“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the family’s statement read. “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”

Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha Busch, and the couple’s son, Brexton, 11, and daughter, Lennix, 4.

In the weeks before his death, Busch had been dealing with health issues. 

During a race at Watkins Glen International on May 10, Busch could be heard asking for a Dr. Bill Heisel over car audio. Heisel is a prominent sports physician and leads the team of doctors responsible for keeping drivers and pit crews healthy. 

“He’s the kindred doctor guy,” Busch said. “Tell him I need him after the race, please.”

Busch told his crew over the headset that he was going to “need a shot” after the race, with the Fox broadcast implying that Busch’s head was “completely stuffed up.”

The following week at Dover Motor Speedway, Busch was asked if his health had seen any improvements. 

“I’m still not great,” he told reporters on Saturday, May 16. “But the cough was pretty substantial last week.”

After Busch’s death was announced, the NASCAR community united in an outpouring of love, support and memories. 

“I made him earn every victory and stole a few from him along the way,” driver Brad Keselowski shared via X on Thursday. “We took our shots at each other, in the media and on the track. But I’d like to think that somewhere deep down there was an appreciation that we pushed each other to perform at the highest level, even if neither of us would’ve admitted it.”

GettyImages-2257860895Kyle-Busch-Looked-Happy-and-Healthy-on-Red-Carpet-Before-His-Death.jpg

Related: Kyle Busch Looked Happy at Last Red Carpet With Wife Before His Death

NASCAR legend Kyle Busch appeared to be in good spirits at his last red carpet event with his wife, Samantha Busch. Kyle attended the NASCAR Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Charlotte, North Carolina, alongside Samantha, 39, in January — four months before his death was announced on Thursday, May 21. The couple attended the […]

Keselowski continued, “Tonight, I feel a little like the coyote with no more roadrunner to chase. His loss is all of our loss, but none more so than his family’s. Thinking of Samantha, and Brexton and Lennix who lost their father today.”

Dale Earnhardt Jr. acknowledged that he and Busch had “a really challenging existence for many years,” referencing Busch being fired by Hendrick Motorsports earlier in his career to make room on the team for Earnhardt.

“But we luckily took the time to figure out our differences and that was something he instigated with a conversation in his bus around how we each managed our racing teams,” Earnhardt Jr., 51, posted via X on Thursday. “I was super eager for us to get on better terms. But it was he who made the effort for that to be possible.”

He added, “My heart is broken for the Busch family. I will never be able to make sense of this loss but I am thankful that we had found a way to become friends.”

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version